August 1, 2010

Battle of the Boyne - Sunday

With the poll results in, it looks like most of the regular visitors won't mind keeping up with other projects I'm working on. I changed my 'mission statement' to reflect my new direction. For those who prefer Napoleonics, don't worry - that is my main areas of interest and there will certainly be new units added to the collection as well as new bits for Republic to Empire. Over the next few months I'm going to be doing a lot of work on Beneath the Lily Banners and painting some Grand Alliance units for the book. There's also a 'secret' historical project that I'll be sharing in a few months that involves a foray into a new period. I'll try to keep the sci-fi/fantasy posts to a minimum unless it means the blog sits idle for a month, but I did promise my brother I'd knock some goblins into shape to have a go at the new Warhammer edition...

Our last game at Historicon...


This game featured two very aggressive kings and we had combat within the first few rounds...


In this melee, the Irish Guards contact both units of grenadiers and the units fought to mutual destruction - something Barry said he's never seen before in over a hundred games!









This game ended with a pretty solid victory for the Jacobites on both flanks with the Williamite French struggling to get across in the center. It was very interesting playing the same scenario three times and getting three different results. Again, everyone involved seemed to have a lot of fun and in the end that's the point of the whole exercise!


On Sunday we were awarded a plaque for the BEST THEME EVENT...


So that's that! Six games in four days - more games than I had a chance to play the previous year. The entire trip was a blast. You should see more pics in the mags as I think most of the 'official' photographers wandered by our table. Barry's writing an article for Wargames Illustrated on the experience that you should see in a few months. I myself will have a post in a week or so about my general experience at Historicon and what I learned about running convention games.

4 comments:

  1. What an excellent display - wargaming at its best. The award was well-deserved! Thanks for sharing the pictures here.

    Cheers
    SG

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great game! I am on Napoleonics, but my vote was for anything you paint!
    Regards
    Rafa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful "eye candy", Clarence. Please give us more non-Nappy posts (ECW preferred).

    I just discovered your blog tonight, but I've added a link to it to the "Emperor vs Elector" group blog's "Other Blogs of Interest" list.

    http://emperor-elector.blogspot.com/

    Again, your games, figures and terrain are just wonderful. I wish that I could have been there for them.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. There will be ECW stuff at some point since we plan to give VICTORY WITHOUT QUARTER the full League of Augsburg treatment some time in the near future...

    ReplyDelete